Friday, April 29, 2016

All About the Base and Top Coat

Hello everyone! If you have been following the M.M.M blog then you know it has been a struggle finding a good base and top coat combo. It seem like I have had more trouble finding a good base coat, over a good top coat. First I tried OPI Nail Envy for sensitive and peeling nails (which is mainly a nail strengthener, but can still be used as a base coat), and a few other in between, then the base coat that I thought was the one was Nicole By OPI 3 in 1- Base, top, and strengthener, but this base coat would make my creme polishes look cracked after about two days. Now I think I have finally found the base coat that I like and I want to share it with all of you.

CND Sticky Base Coat and Revlon's Extra Life No Chip Top Coat  
 CND Sticky Base Coat and Revlon's Extra Life No Chip Top Coat

After hearing good review about CND Stickey Base coat for some time now I deiced to pick it up. Being a nail tech student their are some perks, at different beauty supplies stores around your area you can get discounts, so I stopped into my local Salon Centric (sorry this store is only for salon professionals and students) and picked up this base coat, due to the fact that I can now get it for a good price. 

CND Sticky Base Coat  
 Here is the base coat next to the box it comes in.

This base coat comes in two different sizes the one in the photo above the 33 fl oz, 9.8 ML the small bottle and the 2.3 fl oz, 68 ML the large globe size bottle. If you use a lot of base coat the large size might be best for you, but for me I have found getting the smaller size to be best. When it comes to top coats I have found when I get about half way and have had it for a year it get thick and hard to use, that is why I usually get the smallest bottle. 


CND Sticky Base Coat  
The side of the box.

On the side of the box it just says a soft, sticky base coat designed to anchor colour to the nail to prevent peeling and chipping. I would say these clams are true! I have been using this base coat scene February and it has be great! I feel like it has helped my nail polish to not chip and that it works well with the Revlon Extra Life top coat. I do wear my polish for a week then change it for blog purpose and for fun, but I feel like I don't have to touch up my nail as much, which is always a good thing.

 CND Sticky Base Coat  
 The back of the box.

This base coat has a green tint to it, but it does not go on green when applied to the nails. This base coat is sticky (hence the name sticky) which I have learned while going to school that base coats need to be a little bit sticky, that way the nail polish/ color can adhere to the nails. Like any other base coat you apply one coat of your base, one or two coats of your lacquer, emamel, or color, and then one coat of your top coat. 

So now I think I have finally found the right base coat and top coat comb.CND Stickey Base seems to work well the the Revlon top coat and any brand of nail polish.

This base coat you can purchase at Ulta for $8.50 



Here is some information about base and top coats that I wanted to share with all of you that I have learned in nail tech school.

Base coats are a form of adhesive that help polishes last longer, or to stick to the nail for a longer time, once they are dry they become sticky and that's what helps the polish "sticky to the nail" or last longer. Base coats also help to prevent possible staining that can happen with nail polish, mainly your darker colors.  

Top coats are applied over your colored nail polishes to prevent chipping and to add a shine. Top coats are meant to protect your nails as well.  


Hope all of you enjoyed this CND Stickey base coat review and maybe even learned something about base and top coats as well.

See you next time for more nail fun!      

No comments:

Post a Comment